This week’s Beauty Detox assignment was to create a variation of Kimberly Snyder’s Warm Kale and Mushroom Beauty Salad. I made my salad over the weekend and then I used the leftovers in spring rolls for dinner last night. I didn’t photograph my salad on its own, so here I’m sharing my Kale and Mushroom Spring Rolls. I enjoyed them with a bowl of miso soup and a small salad topped with sauerkraut and black sesame seeds. So my entry for this week’s challenge is a salad in a spring roll, ok? Yeah, let’s go with that!
I recently made spring rolls and cooked them with a quick shallow fry. They tasted great but a couple didn’t hold together that well and I thought they might have soaked up a bit too much oil. This time around, I baked them in the oven and it was a lot easier that having to stand over the stove while avoiding getting burned by hot oil.
I sautéed my vegetables first since they were originally made for the salad, but another option is to coat the raw veg with a tablespoon of oil before wrapping. That might increase the bake time a bit.
Usually in a stir-fry salad like this, I would add some tamari. But since it’s Sugar-Free September, I’ve been avoiding most sauces. To give this salad flavour, I loaded on the spices, and the flavours worked really well in my spring roll version, too.
- 6 rice paper wrappers
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1" ginger root, minced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced carrot
- ¼ cup chopped zucchini
- ¼ cup chopped broccoli
- ¼ onion, chopped
- ¼ tsp crushed chili pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Place a wire baking rack over a parchment lined baking sheet and brush with small amount of oil
- Heat 1 tbs oil over medium heat
- Add mushrooms, kale and onion and sautee for 3 minutes
- Add remaining vegetables, garlic, ginger and spices
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes, until kale is softened and onions are translucent
- Working one at a time, prepare rice wrappers by placing in a shallow dish with warm water for 30 seconds
- Transfer to a clear surface and place ½ cup vegetables in centre
- Fold over sides and roll, placing seam side down on baking rack
- Brush each roll with remaining oil
- Bake on rack over sheet for 20-30 minutes