I love to put together bowls like this for lunch. I enjoy eating meals that have a whole selection of different components. They’re just so much more fun, aren’t they?
This bowl has a base of millet and greens and is topped with roasted sweet potato, fresh cucumber and leftover corn and grilled chicken breast. The best part of this meal is the miso millet.
Don’t you hate when you’re preparing a meal and then you realize that you still need a sauce or dressing? Well, this dish doesn’t need any extra sauces because the millet is cooked in miso, which adds so much flavour and creaminess that you won’t need anything else.
- 1 cup millet, uncooked
- 3.5 cups water
- 2 tbs miso paste
- 1 sweet potato, chopped
- ½ cucumber, quartered
- 1 green onion, diced
- 1 cup corn, cooked
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and sliced
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375F
- Place chopped sweet potato in a roasting pan and drizzle with oil, and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until fork tender
- Toast the dry millet in a pan over medium heat for 2 minutes
- Add water to pan, cover and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until water is absorbed
- To serve, place vegetables and chicken over millet and mixed greens and sprinkle with onion
On another note, we’re 5 days into Sugar-Free September, and I’m still doing great. I haven’t had any real cravings and haven’t experienced any of the sugar-detox symptoms I’ve heard about. It’s early days yet. Having delicious treats like this Blueberry Chia Parfait are going a long way in helping me stick with it!
Have you cut sugar out at all? Maybe you’ve switched from refined white sugar to maple syrup or stevia? I’d love to hear from those of you who are making some changes towards cutting out the sugar. If you need some more information about going sugar-free, check out these links.
Have a great weekend!