I received a free package of Hemp Hearts from Manitoba Havest to review on the blog. All opinions described in this review are my own.
Since my last weight-loss update, I’m now down another 3 lbs for a total loss of 18 lbs since January. Woohoo! As I’ve mentioned before, increasing protein intake has really helped me feel full longer, and it has gone a long way in helping me stick to my weight-loss goals.
In addition to filling up on healthy high protein foods like meat, eggs, yogurt, and nuts, I’d started regularly using protein powder, which I added to my low-sugar green smoothies. My favourite protein powders are from Kaizen and Vega, both of which offer delicious protein powders in a whole variety of flavours (I usually stick with vanilla or chocolate).
Just in time for Sugar-Free September, Manitoba Harvest generously sent me a package of their hemp hearts to try. Hemp seeds are a great, sugar-free source of plant-based protein. Each 30 gram serving contains 10 grams of protein. Hemp hearts have a subtle nutty flavour and can be blended into smoothies, stirred into sauces and soups, and baked into muffins and cakes. I’ve been enjoying them sprinkled on salads, stirred into oatmeal and today I’m sharing a recipe for Oven-Roasted Drumsticks with a hemp heart breading.
For even more protein, Manitoba Harvest offers a selection of protein powders. (Also, looking forward to trying these hemp snack bites!) Manitoba Harvest’s manufacturing facilities are exclusively dedicated to hemp products, which eliminates the risk of cross-contamination with allergens, including peanuts, which can be a challenge with other protein powders.
Manitoba Harvest is offering one lucky reader the opportunity to try their Hemp Hearts, too. For your chance to win, enter the contest with Rafflecopter below. Winners must be from Canada or the US.
A winner will be randomly selected on September 23rd.
Oven-Roasted Drumsticks Breaded w/ Hemp Hearts
- 8 chicken drumsticks (bone-in with skin)
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup Manitoba Harvest hemp hearts
- 2 tbs bread crumbs
- 2 tbs grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Rinse chicken and pat dry with a paper towel
- In a shallow bowl, mix mustard with crushed garlic
- In another bowl, combine hemp hearts, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
- Roll chicken in mustard mixture and then thoroughly coat with bread crumb mixture
- Place chicken on pan greased with coconut oil
- Bake for 25 minutes, flip and bake for an additional 30 minutes
- For extra crispiness, broil for 2 minutes