I hope everyone is enjoying the remainder of the long weekend, and I hope your Sugar-Free September is off to a great start! A few hours in, and I’m holding strong. I started my day off with a Low-Sugar Green Smoothie and went for an easy run.
For lunch I enjoyed these delicious Sweet Potato Spinach Quinoa Patties over a salad. I made a big batch and will be reaching for these throughout the week. With the quinoa base, they’re filling and there’s so much goodness packed in thanks to sesame seeds, flax and spinach.
Whether you’re heading back to school or back to work this week, these patties are great to have made up in the fridge. Warm on a burger bun, stuffed into a pita, or served cold on top of a salad.
Although I’ve fried them in coconut oil, I like them more from the oven.
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 cup quinoa
- ½ cup gluten-free flour
- ½ cup sesame seeds, ground
- 2 tbs flax seeds, ground
- 3 tbs coconut oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- Sauce: ¼ cup tahini, 2 tbs crushed garlic, 2 tsp olive oil, ¼ tsp salt, 2 tsp dried parsley
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Cook 1 cup rinsed and drained quinoa in 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes, until most of the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and leave covered for an additional 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil sweet potatoes until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a pan, heat 1 tbs coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, spinach and garlic. Cook until spinach is wilted and onions are translucent.
- In a food processor, combine cooked quinoa, sweet potatoes, onions, spinach and garlic mixture, ground sesame and flax seeds. Process on low until well combined.
- Stir in flour. If your mixture is still very wet, add more flour. Mixture should hold together when squeezed.
- Line 2 baking sheets with foil or parchment paper and grease with 1 tbs coconut oil.
- Taking ¼ cup-sized portions, form patties ¼" to ½" thick and place on baking sheets.
- Bake for 45 minutes, flipping half way.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Enjoy in a sandwich or over mixed greens.